We took our favorite mixed nuts, coated them in a frothy egg batter flavored with vanilla, sugar, cinnamon, cayenne, and sweet paprika, and then baked them until golden and crispy (or until the aroma made it impossible to keep the oven door closed). You’ll want to set out a few bowls around the house for mindless munching during the holidays. Or better yet, save them for January when you want to stick to your resolution of taking better care of yourself, but also know too well that you’re going to need a little sugar and spice sprinkled throughout those grain bowls and (miserably) hot yoga sessions. But really, you can eat these anytime, anywhere. And you will — they’re that irresistible.
Yield: About 4 cups
- 1 large egg white
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp water
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp sweet paprika
- 4 cups mixed nuts of your choice, e.g., almonds, walnuts, pecans, and cashews
- ¼ cup seeds of your choice, e.g., pepitas or sunflower
- Preheat the oven to 300º and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the egg white, vanilla extract, and water and whisk until frothy.
- Add the sugars, cinnamon, salt, cayenne, and paprika to the egg white and gently whisk together.
- Fold the nuts and seeds into the egg mixture using a rubber spatula
- Transfer the nuts and seeds to the baking sheet, spreading them evenly. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, stirring halfway through so that they don’t stick together.
- Remove the pan from the oven, and slide the parchment paper with the nuts onto the countertop to stop the cooking process and cool the nuts faster.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 1 month.