Cinnamon Rolls & Cream Cheese Frosting
Servings: 12 rolls
For the sweet roll dough:
- 3 ½ cups all-purpose flour, divided, plus more for surfaces
- 1 pkg instant dry yeast
- 2 ½ Tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
For the cinnamon roll filling:
- ¾ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup heavy cream
For the cream cheese frosting:
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- To make the sweet roll dough: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk, combine 2 ½ cups of the flour, yeast, sugar, salt, and egg.
- In a small pan, heat the milk and butter over medium-low heat until the butter melts and the mixture reaches 120º.
- Pour the milk mixture over the flour mixture. Switch to a dough hook, and then turn the mixer on low, combining the ingredients.
- Slowly add the remaining flour until the dough forms and begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl. The dough should be soft and tacky, not sticky.
- Form the dough into a ball and transfer it to a large, lightly greased mixing bowl. Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap, and allow the dough to rise in a warm spot for 1 hour or until it has doubled in size.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and punch it down.
- Preheat the oven to 350º. Lightly butter a baking dish measuring 9 x 13 inches.
- To make the cinnamon roll filling and assemble the rolls: In a small bowl, mix the brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Roll the dough into a 9 x 15-inch rectangle. Spread the softened butter on the dough. Sprinkle with the brown sugar and cinnamon mixture.
- Beginning at the long side, roll the dough into a log. Pinch the long edge of the dough to seal in the filling.
- Cut the dough into 1-inch slices and place the rolls into the buttered baking dish.
- Cover the dish with plastic wrap. Let the rolls rise in a warm place for 20 to 30 minutes or until doubled in size. They’re ready when you can leave an indent in the dough with your finger.
- While the rolls are rising, warm the heavy cream in a small saucepan over medium-low heat.
- When the rolls are ready, remove the plastic wrap. Pour the warm cream evenly over the rolls. Bake the rolls for about 15 minutes or until light golden brown.
- To make the cream cheese frosting: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine all the ingredients.
- Mix on medium-high until fluffy, stopping the mixer occasionally to scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl. Slather the frosting over the warm rolls and eat them immediately.