Bourbon Apple Fizz
- Peels from 4 large Honeycrisp apples (reserve the apples for another use)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 ½ cups water
- 4 sprigs thyme, divided
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 oz apple-thyme syrup
- 1 oz lemon juice
- 2 oz bourbon
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 ½ oz ginger beer
- Apple slices and a sprig of thyme, for garnish
For the apple-thyme syrup
For the bourbon apple fizz:
- To make the simple syrup: In a small saucepan, combine the apple peels, sugar, water, thyme, and lemon juice. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat, stirring frequently until all of the sugar has dissolved.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook for 10 minutes.
- Strain the syrup into a jar with a lid and discard the peels and thyme.
- Allow the syrup to cool. Note: The leftovers will keep for at least two weeks in the refrigerator.
- Fill a cocktail shaker halfway with ice and add the apple-thyme simple syrup, lemon juice, bourbon, and thyme.
- Cover the shaker and shake vigorously for 15 seconds.
- Strain the cocktail over a glass filled with ice.
- Top with the ginger beer. Garnish with apple slices and a sprig of thyme. Enjoy!
If you like an Old Fashioned, this cocktail is right up your alley.