Asparagus Breakfast Hash
- 1 lb small Yukon Gold potatoes
- 2 Tbsp grapeseed oil
- 6 strips bacon, diced
- 4 eggs
- ½ small yellow onion, diced
- ¼ bunch asparagus, cut into 1-inch batons
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeño, sliced thin
- 1 garlic clove, sliced thin
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 Tbsp chives, cut into 1-inch batons
- Preheat the oven to 375º.
- Pierce the potatoes with a fork and bake them on a sheet pan lined with a cooling rack for 35 to 45 minutes, or until just fork tender.
- Allow the potatoes to cool, and then dice them into 1⁄2-inch pieces.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, heat the oil over high heat until it’s shimmering, add the potatoes, and sauté until crisp on all sides. Remove the potatoes from the pan and set aside.
- Lower the heat to medium, add the bacon to the skillet and cook until it’s brown and crisp and has rendered its fat, about 5 to 7 minutes. Strain off half of the bacon fat and reserve the rest in the skillet.
- While the bacon is cooking, bring 4 cups of water to a simmer in a large pot and poach your eggs. Once the eggs are done to your liking, remove them from the water bath with a slotted spoon and set them aside. Note: if you’re not into poached eggs, fried or scrambled eggs will also work.
- Add the onion, asparagus, and red bell pepper to the skillet, and sauté them over medium heat until tender, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Fold in the jalapeño, garlic, and crispy potatoes and cook for 1 minute.
- Season with salt and pepper, top with poached eggs, garnish with fresh chives, and serve hot.